Strategic and Tactical Planning
As an ethos, Management Consulting is at the very heart of who we are and what we’re about. After all, bringing together the highest quality deliverables to address engineering needs, develop process auditing, manage risk, or guide your project is meaningless if we don’t already have set in place a bullet-proof management plan that will ensure success. Because of our 70+ years of combined experience in these areas, our Client Family is assured of comprehensive guidance. In today’s post we’ll focus on one area we absolutely love and thrive upon – Strategic and Tactical Planning.
Strategic and/vs. Tactical
First off, let’s recognize that there is a difference between the two. Strategic refers to long-term, broad-based business goals, objectives, and even wishes. The Tactical Plan feeds from the Strategic and is much more short-term (even immediate) and normally narrowly focused. Finally, a strategic plan is more concerned with the future while the tactical is concerned with the here and now. To be even more specific, it is possible to have a Strategic Plan without a Tactical Plan but, in the strict interpretation, you cannot have a Tactical Plan without a Strategic Plan. Why?
For those familiar with the strategic planning/project management process, the creation of action items and assignment of individuals or groups to complete them is a sign that you are nearing the “end of the beginning” in creating your strategic plan. Many times those responsible for completion are key-persons involved in plan creation resulting in no “trickle-down” to management at other levels – NO Tactical Plan. In others, the direct result of action item creation is the Tactical Plan and assignment of action items (the tactical plan itself) to management staff at lower levels who have a better understanding of day-to-day mechanics and are more in-tune with “how” as opposed to the “what”.
RTSGC Planning Aspects
- We utilize your key personnel, and others, in the creation and facilitation of an Advisory Board.
- We guide a review of your company’s Goals and Objectives, Mission and Vision Statements, and previous elucidations (if any), in the strategic plan area.
- We arrange for and guide a complete evaluation of your organization’s Corporate (or Agency or Non-Profit) Structure and reassignment or modification of hierarchical metrics, as needed.
- We perform an in-depth analysis of Internal Operations, preparing and delivering a report, for the preceding 3 years, minimum.
- Following recognized best practices, we guide you in completing a SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) Analysis, defining Core Purpose & Ideologies, identifying long-term goals and objectives, and completing an Environmental Scan.
- We facilitate the creation of a Media/Marketing/Advertising aspect of your Strategic and Tactical Plans.
- We aid your embedded HR department in full development of all key Position Descriptions.
- When appropriate we facilitate the process of converting Action Items to a geographically by department focused Tactical Plan.
- We annually direct the process of setting in place an operational work plan for the upcoming year based upon creation of the Tactical Plan.
- Annually we guide your CXO professionals in defining/redefining aspects of the strategic plan to be addressed in the Tactical (Operational) (Work) Plan.
The planning process is NOT just for large corporations. In fact it can be especially beneficial for small, family run businesses and non-profit organizations because it brings experts with different perspectives to the table and requires a great deal of introspection from participants. There are so many other areas in which a properly facilitated and executed plan can concern itself and most of these are specific to you, your company, and the industry in which you operate! Reach out to us for more information Info@RTSGlobalConsult.com.